Why Imma Yoga Bitch?

I'm in the Yoga class  and for the tenth time my Yoga instructor says, "flex your toes toward the ceiling to protect your knees..." It's bad enough that I am on my back so my toes are already toward the ceiling (yes, I know that the instructor means toes toward my head), but having heard this instruction so many times I asked myself, "how does flexing your toes protect your knees?" Is that really true? Look it up (or wait until I post about it..." ;-)

This is only one of my Yoga bitches but it best illustrates why Imma Yoga Bitch. I suffer from starting Yoga classes from some highly trained Iyengar Yoga instructors. Every pose had seemingly unending subtleties and each subtlety had a specific reason based on anatomical science. Every pose also had a concentrated focus, a breathing pattern, and was held long enough to become aware of my body's response and to adjust to that response.

Now I am a spoiled brat! The Yoga that is available to me where I live is "adaptive", Yoga taught by students who finished a 9 week training program from students who finished their 9 week training program last year. It's like a copy, of a copy, of a copy! Make a copy of a copy like this repeatedly and what you end up is a very bad copy. "Adaptive" here can be described as what I have heard some instructors say, "If you don't like something in a pose then just don't do it - or do something else."

So I guess that Imma Yoga Bitch now! I still go to classes but I find myself in a "bitch fest" afterward. I "adapt." (After all it is "adaptive" Yoga) But I really have no one to bitch to. So I got to wondering if other people experience the same need to bitch. Well, here you go - let it all go...

P.S. If I don't like your bitch I might bitch back - or even delete your bitch! As head Imma Bitch I have that power, for all its worth.

Namaste


Comments